zondag 24 januari 2010

Alternative Haggis

Tomorrow is Burns Day. In the past I have occasionally got myself organised enough to have a proper Burns Supper, complete with Haggis. Surprisingly enough no Dutch person has as yet been as disgusted by it as they had expected to be beforehand. (It certainly never caused such spectacularly horrified faces as when I gave a few pals some maté to try which I'd brought back from Argentina...) But this year I have no haggis in the cupboard but I do have neeps and tatties. So decided to try to concoct something that might serve as some sort of exotic alternative to haggis.










I had a kilo of minced beef in the fridge and an assortment of red and white (sweet) onions. Some sort of grain was needed to mix with it I thought, so meusli would do. Soaked that in some fruit juice while I was chopping the onions. I have a taste for ginger at the moment so put a few spoonfuls of ginger jam in with the last scrapings in a pot of marmite and put it in the microwave to warm up to pouring consistency. Beat an egg with some pepper and herbs and mixed it through the mince and onions. Decided it wasn't gooey enough and put another egg in. In between doing other stuff in the kitchen gradually added the muesli and ginger/Marmite mix. Still thought it was a bit dry and looked in the cupboard to see what else could go in. Spoonful of truffel-flavoured honey and a tin of aubergines in tomato sauce. That was more like it! Mashed it all in with a fork and spoon. Smells wonderful. I found a special plastic (? it looks like plastic but it's made for in the oven, so I suppose it can't be really) roasting bag in the cupboard too, which I once bought because it's supposed to be a good fatfree way of roasting a chicken but I've never tried it yet. Stuffed the mixture in this and tied a knot in it. Haven't decided yet whether to cook it in the oven or to boil it in a pan like a proper haggis.
I suspect the oven version would give a sort of meatloaf effect that could be cut into slices while the boiled version would be more grainy like proper haggis. Maybe I should split it in two and try both? As this is a spur of the moment experiment I'm not actually going to make anyone else eat it. I can always freeze what's left. Or put it on my bird table if it's really horrible... But I'm fairly confident that it'll be edible. Surely nothing a dollop of HP sauce won't sort anyway? (Hope Bobby and Maggie don't read this - they'll no doubt be horrified by my barbarian attitude to cooking.)

2 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

LOL is the term 'haggis' still appropriate though???

elma zei

Ach, it's the thought that counts. I put my CD of Burns songs on when I was eating it...